Monday, December 27, 2010

Love and Passion.


I don’t really believe in love anymore. I’ve been pushed down, shoved around, and broken enough to realize that perhaps that “happily ever after” we’re all fighting for isn’t really out there. I mean, how many “Prince Charmings” can there really be? Is there one for each of us? There can’t be, then there wouldn’t be anything special about them. They’d just be another Average Joe…and who wants a “happily ever after” with one of those? Exactly. Nobody. I mean, perhaps there will be someone you care enough about to spend the rest of your life with, but is that really love? At the end of the day, twenty years from now when perhaps they’re not as attractive as you first met them and you’ve fought about everything from what television channel you’re watching to what dress to wear to the party, will you still feel that passion that you had when you first met? Will that still exist? The answer is probably not. 
Let’s face it, the divorce rate in the good ol’ United States of America is over 50%, that’s right, over half of the couples getting married in the U.S. ends up getting divorced, and the divorce rate increases the more times it happens, as well as among young people. 
So, you’d probably ask me, “What do you believe in if you don’t believe in love, Jess?” 
I believe in passion. I believe in moments of passion, of lust, of affection. I believe in lasting friendships, but not in “happily ever after”. I believe in wanting. I believe in longing. I believe in broken dreams and heartache. I don’t believe in lasting love, that picture perfect painting drawn for us by fairy tales and Disney movies.
That’s what I believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment