Friday, February 4, 2011

Look at how far you've come...

Let me tell you a story, random blog.

When I was in seventh grade (I was about twelve at the time, believe it or not) I was emotionally broken and disturbed. I was upset, depressed, and detached from the happy person I used to be. I had contemplated and considered taking my own life.

One night, one of my teachers called my mother in concern while I was in the shower. I remember coming out of the shower and seeing my mother on the phone. I was worried, I could slightly hear what was being said while I was washing my hair, but I hadn't known. I've believed ever since that day, about this time of year, that that teacher saved my life. I don't know what would've happened had she not called.

Fast forward about six years. I'm a freshman in college now, feeling a hell of a lot better about myself. Today, I was in a car accident. The girl driving hadn't seen the stop sign and was broadsided by a truck on the passenger's side. I was sitting in the passenger's seat. I wasn't injured, thankfully, but it put it all back into perspective: life is too short for me to be wasting.

And then, I kept thinking about that. About how life is too short to be wasting. The very thing I was willing to throw away six years ago (and at other points since then, but none extremely recently) has become the most precious thing for me to hold on to. I've come so very far and I'm proud to say it. I'm not afraid to be honest about my struggles from the past. Nor am I afraid of saying that sometimes it's still difficult for me. But I will hopefully remember the great things in my life and I will never have to go all the way back to the edge. I will hopefully always remember what I learned today; that my life is the most valuable thing I own.

No comments:

Post a Comment